#retailweek #retailtrends #retailnews #Retail & #Brand trends for w/e 6th January 2017 #marketingweek
- B&M have reported a 21.8% increase in group revenue (actual currency basis) to £789.1m for the 13 weeks to 24 December 2016. UK sales increased by 20.7% to £741.4m while UK like-for-like sales increased by 7.2% for the same period.
- Boux Avenue have reported a 21.5% increase in UK sales to £44.4m for the year to 26 March 2016. Like-for-like sales increased by 13.4% for the same period. (Source: Retail Week)
- The Fragrance Shop have reported a 12.6% in sales for the six weeks to 31 December 2016. (Source: Verdict)
- Jigsaw have reported a 10.0% increase in sales for the five weeks to 31 December 2016. (Source: Drapers)
- Mamas & Papas have reported an 11.0% increase in like-for-like sales for the 13 weeks to 25 December 2016. (Source: Retail Week)
- Mountain Warehouse have reported a 28.8% increase in sales for the six weeks to 01 January 2017. International sales increased by 71.0% while online sales increased by 32.0% for the same period. (Source: Retail Week)
- Next Plc have reported a 0.4% decrease in full price sales for the eight weeks to 24 December 2016.
- Nisa Retail have reported a 2.7% increase in sales to £235.6m for the 10 weeks ended 01 January 2017. Like-for-like increased by 2.2% for the same period. (Source: Telegraph)
- Quiz Retail have reported an 11.7% increase in group revenue to £87.4m for the year to 31 March 2016. Pre-tax profit increased by 17.0% to £5.7m for the same period. (Source: Retail Bulletin)
Lifestyle LFLs were down by 0.53% this week, off of a positive base of +4.9% for the same week last year. Retailers of electrical goods struggled in-store, as did retailers of outdoor goods and stationers. Positive in-store results were evident amongst gift retailers.
Fashion LFLs were up by +3.75% off of an already strong base of +5.8% for the same week last year. As discounting got under way, a period of cold but dry weather aided footfall such that shoppers have been out in force and restocking wardrobes.
Homeware LFLs were down by -1.37% this week off of an already negative base of -4.0% last year. The result follows three weeks of positive growth and saw some furniture and soft furnishings retailers and department stores reporting negative LFLs.
Non-store LFLs were up by an impressive +25.57% this week off of an already very strong base of +24.8% for the same week last year. Discounting and a weak pound provided a boost for online sales as LFLs far surpassed the +20% threshold.
Clothing, Footwear & Accessories
- Boohoo.com have acquired certain intellectual property assets from retailer Nasty Gal Inc. The acquisition is aimed at accelerating their international growth, particularly in the US, as the Group looks to build on its existing customer reach and product range across the globe. (Source: Company Press Release)
- Missguided have announced plans to open 16,000 sq. ft., at Bluewaters lower Rose Gallery. (Source: Retail Bulletin)
- New Look have appointed Richard Collyer as their new Chief Financial Officer with immediate effect. (Source: Company Press Release)
Electrical & Entertainment
- Hamleys have announced plans to open 29 stores in India by 31 March 2018. (Source: Business Line)
- Maplin have announced a partnership with iForce Revive. This proposition will provide a software controlled inspection and processing capability to handle over 600,000 items returned from Maplin stores or from online customers, as well as any products that have been recalled. (Source: Post & Parcel)
Food & Drink
- The Co-op have announced plans to open 100 new stores in the UK by December 2017. The stores would be predominantly based across London and the South East, with five stores opening in London before 31 March 2017. (Source: Telegraph)
- Morrisons have cut shelf prices of 800 popular items by an average of 19.0%, under their Price Crunch campaign, which means a total of 1,500 products are currently for sale at reduced prices across the supermarket giants stores. (Source: Verdict)
- AG Barr has teamed up with Jägermeister-owner Mast Jägermeister to add a beetroot flavour to its range of Funkin cocktail syrups.
- Lidl UK have announced plans to open a new 43 acre warehouse in Bolton, creating 500 new jobs in the process. (Source: Verdict)
- Sainsburys have announced plans to launch a new app called Winnow to help shoppers track how much food they throw away. (Source: Retail Week)
- Tesco have announced that Richard Cousins has stepped down as their Non-Executive Director with immediate effect. (Source: Company Press Release)
- John Lewis have announced that Becky Brock will be their new Marketing Director with effect from 20 March 2017. (Source: Company Press Release)
- Morleys have announced plans to open a 50,000 sq. ft. store within the Broadway Shopping Centre in Bexleyheath by 30 April 2017, taking over the former BHS store. (Source: Retail Week)
- Poundland have slashed the price on thousands of core products for their first ever Sales event. The value retailer is selling a host of items for 50p until 31 January 2017. (Source: Retail Week)
- Sports Direct have announced plans to sell their rights to the Dunlop brand and related wholesale and licensing businesses to Sumitomo Rubber Industries Ltd. (Source: Company Press Release)
Courtesy of ‘Barclays‘